When Jacqueline was visiting last week, she showed me a coin purse that she uses and asked if I could help her figure out how it was put together. Here was my chance to use one of those tiny zippers as I worked out a prototype. The coin purse is lined, with the lining being machine stitched to the zip at the same time as the face fabric. The tricky part was that my fabric choices were light weight and a bit slippery to work with.
I resolved that problem by using a decorator weight cotton for the next attempt. I also added fabric tabs to cover both ends of the tiny zipper, which makes the sewing even easier. This is coin purse prototype #2.
I couldn't leave the idea alone, though. Those cute, tiny zippers were calling me. Last night, I put together a new shape and I decided to use selvedges as my face fabric.
Just like the second prototype, I decided to enclose the zipper ends with fabric tabs and again, the coin purse is fully lined.